Here are 5 interesting and memorable places to visit when you are in Canada.
5. Mount Royal Park
Established in 1876, Mount Royal park was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the highly skilled designer behind the urban Central Park in Manhattan, New York. Mount Royal Park has some interesting features such as cross-country skiing trails, a snow tube and toboggan run which can be enjoyed during the winter.
One of the most popular activities done in this park is skating. This activity is free if you have your own equipment. During the summer, a popular activity Known as "Tam-Tam Jam" is very common in this park. A couple of Montrealers and visitors from various backgrounds play the hand drum while the tam-tam players perform their art and cheering up others to dance too. Many children and adults engage nearby in a battle with foam-padded weapons as well.
4. Banff National Park
Embodied by famous spots such as the Columbia Icefield and the Banff Hot Springs, Lake Louise, Moraine Lake and bordering three other National Parks (Jasper, Yoho and Kootenay), Banff National Park remains Canada’s oldest national park and was established in 1885. The glamour of this park is a showcase of nature’s beauty and it remains the most visited tourist attraction in Alberta and one of the most visited national parks in the continent of North America.
The park is intercepted by the Trans-Canada Highway. Those traveling through the highway are not required to stop by the park unless they have a park pass which can be purchased at the park. Major activities includes canoeing, hiking, horse riding and alpine ski trips with some attractions like a golf course and ski resorts.
3. Canada’s Wonderland
Located 40 km away from Downtown Toronto, in the city of Vaughan; Canada’s Wonderland is home to the most visited seasonal amusement park in North America for several years. It features Canada’s tallest and fastest roller coaster – Leviathan, Canada’s longest wooden coaster – Mighty with 17 other roller coasters, 77 rides and 200 attractions.
Although, this amusement park has been known to be a seasonal park with most of it activities scheduled during the summer till fall, but on the 22nd of November 2019, Canada’s wonderland introduced the “Winterfest”. This will make the park lively for all seasons, with new coasters and attractions introduced during the Winterfest including Yukon Striker, a world-record-breaking dive roller coaster.
2. The CN Tower
Coined as an abbreviation for Canada National, a Canadian railway company that constructed and built the tower, the CN Tower is a signature icon of Toronto’s skyline and the most familiar and honored figure in Canada. Attracting more than two million international visitors annually, this mesmerizing tower stands approximately 1,815 feet tall and remained the tallest building in the world from while still under construction in 1975 till 2007.
With attractions like the Skypod- a fascinating observation platform over 447 metres above the ground with an eccentric and breathtaking view, the Edgewalk- the CN Tower’s most thrilling attraction, with full-circle hands-free walk on a 5 ft- (1.5 m-) wide ledge encircling the top of the Tower’s main pod, 356m/1168ft (116 storeys) high and the Glass floor- 23.8 square metres (256 sq. ft) of solid glass with a view of 342 m (1,122 ft) straight down, the tower has been specifically designed for you to have fun in there.
1. Niagara Falls
Located between the province of Ontario in Canada and the state of New York in the USA, this famous work of Nature has been a powerful natural landmark for centuries. With a vertical drop of more than 50m and a wide stretch of more than 17km, Niagara Falls is known to be the largest falls on earth. Niagara Falls is made up of three waterfalls bridging the border between Canada and the United States-
- the Bridal Veil Falls
- the American Falls
- the Horseshoe Falls.
Horseshoe Falls also known as the Canadian Falls is the largest amongst the three and is located on the Canadian side of the falls, receiving up to 90% percent of the water flow while the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls is located on the American side sharing the remaining 10% of the water flow.
No visit to Canada is perfect without checking out this awesome work of nature.
Other interesting places to visit in Canada are:
- Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto, Ontario
- The Butchart Gardens in Brentwood Bay, BC
- Jasper National Park in Alberta
- Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, BC.