Can I afford law school | Student Matrix

Can I afford law school

Currently reading:
Can I afford law school

Beloved

Jan 22, 2021
I just got accepted to study law in University of Alberta and still waiting on three other school's decision. I just wanna determine if I can afford law school by myself or perhaps I will have to depend on some kinda loan to be able to complete my degree. Alberta tuition fee for a law program currently is $10,936.08 per year (excluding other miscellaneous fees). That figure is a little bit scary.

What's the cost of tuition, expenses and accommodation in your school and how were you able to sustain the payment? Kindly share your experience.

Thanks,
Beloved.

Stylishqueen

Jan 22, 2021
I don't know about Alberta, but here in Ontario, you can get as much as 10-13k per year from OSAP. Line of credit and applying for scholarships can also be a life saver.

I won two scholarships worth $6,000 in my 2nd year, and rack up around 50k in line of credit and 30k in OSAP debt.

MissKick

Jan 23, 2021
My aim is to get nothing more than 30k in government debt throughout my course of study. Currently I get about 15k from OSAP loans and I plan get that for 2 years, parents will be covering my tuition for the remaining years, while working full time during the summer will cover my living expenses.

Claudio

Jun 1, 2020
Generally, getting a degree is expensive. Although I'm going for health science, and the way I plan in footing my bills is getting $8k from OSAP loans/grants and expecting $90k in SLOC from CIBC.

Headisocto

Sep 29, 2019
Luckily for me, I was able to work and save up some money prior to starting my program. The money I saved up will cover up my first 2 years then I'll be relying on Alberta student aid for my final year. You can apply for loans/grants too and you also have the option of getting a SLOC if you've got a good credit score.

LinkTainted

Sep 29, 2019
Student aid and line of credit are 2 good options you have. You will likely get about 11-15k / year from AB. It can come as a loan or bursary depending on your income. I got a professional line of credit from Scotiabank myself. You can do that as well.

TheEpicBlock

Oct 7, 2019
I don't know about Alberta, but here in Ontario, you can get as much as 10-13k per year from OSAP. Line of credit and applying for scholarships can also be a life saver.

I won two scholarships worth $6,000 in my 2nd year, and rack up around 50k in line of credit and 30k in OSAP debt.
10-13k per year from OSAP ?! That was back in the day. Before Doug Ford tenure. Right now, you'll be lucky if you get 8k or more / year. I guess you were getting OSAP during Kathleen Wynne's era.

Doomnippal

Sep 29, 2019
Student aid is your best bet. I got half of my tuition fee from SFAA (New Brunswick) and I was able to cover the other half with my savings and student line of credit. I lived off-campus so I really didn't have issues with paying for accommodation because I was living with my parents, and my bf.

If you are lucky to get a job after graduation, especially in the public sector, you'll be making cool money and paying off your debt won't be that much of an issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.