Can I use 1 year Diploma from Humber in Software to compensate for a low GPA while seeking admission in MS Computer Science | Student Matrix
Welcome to Student Matrix

Be part of our community today

Can I use 1 year Diploma from Humber in Software to compensate for a low GPA while seeking admission in MS Computer Science

Currently reading:
Can I use 1 year Diploma from Humber in Software to compensate for a low GPA while seeking admission in MS Computer Science

snowflake

Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone, it's good to be here.

Today, an Indian friend of mine discussed something with me and I would like to share it with us here for discussion.

He graduated with a low CGPA (6.25/10) from an Indian University, has one year work experience in the field of software development and performed excellently in GRE with a GRE score of 320. However, he wishes to have his Masters in Canada and he has been told by some people that his CGPA is too low to get him an admission in any Canadian university for Computer Science. Presently, he is now thinking of taking a year Diploma in Enterprise Software from Humber College.

Now, he wants to know if this Diploma will serve as a boost to his profile and thereby, helps him to secure admission into MS Computer Science or it is still impossible.

Please, kindly help me out with your advice and suggestions.

Thanks

ShowRunner

Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone, it's good to be here.

Today, an Indian friend of mine discussed something with me and I would like to share it with us here for discussion.

He graduated with a low CGPA (6.25/10) from an Indian University, has one year work experience in the field of software development and performed excellently in GRE with a GRE score of 320. However, he wishes to have his Masters in Canada and he has been told by some people that his CGPA is too low to get him an admission in any Canadian university for Computer Science. Presently, he is now thinking of taking a year Diploma in Enterprise Software from Humber College.

Now, he wants to know if this Diploma will serve as a boost to his profile and thereby, helps him to secure admission into MS Computer Science or it is still impossible.

Please, kindly help me out with your advice and suggestions.

Thanks
Had it been that your friend made a CGPA of 6.5, he would have gained admission at Bishop University. I don't know maybe the school offers Masters in Computer Science though. However, with a year Diploma in Enterprise Software, I can assure you that he will gain admission into any top school in Canada.

The major reason why he can't apply for Masters directly with his CGPA is because of the rigorous and hectic nature of Masters program. They know that he might have the skills and knowledge about the course but he might likely struggle with his theory works. That is why they want him to go for remedial class (Diploma) so that he will have a little knowledge and preparation for the Masters porgram.

holystone

Jun 1, 2020
They will give him an admission into Masters with a good GPA from Diploma.

However, I suggest he contacts the school's admission officer to know about the requirements.

aaay

Jun 1, 2020
Diploma is a bit expensive but I can assure you that if he does it, it will definitely help him to gain admission into MS Computer Science.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.