Finance vs Management/Industrial Engineering degree | Student Matrix

Finance vs Management/Industrial Engineering degree

Currently reading:
Finance vs Management/Industrial Engineering degree

Oranolio

Jun 1, 2020
Hi guys,

Yesterday, one of my sister's friends came to our house and was discussing with me, her plan to either opt for management/industrial engineering option or register for a degree in finance.

This girl wants to work in a finance sector but she hates a boring and repetitive work. She was thinking of management/industrial engineering as it is a mix of management (which is in line with her prospect) and industrial engineering, which has some mathematics calculations to make it interesting and intriguing.

She gets bored so easily but she wants to work in a finance industry. What do you think she could do?

Please, I will appreciate your advice and suggestions.

Loonies

Jun 1, 2020
Hi guys,

Yesterday, one of my sister's friends came to our house and was discussing with me, her plan to either opt for management/industrial engineering option or register for a degree in finance.

This girl wants to work in a finance sector but she hates a boring and repetitive work. She was thinking of management/industrial engineering as it is a mix of management (which is in line with her prospect) and industrial engineering, which has some mathematics calculations to make it interesting and intriguing.

She gets bored so easily but she wants to work in a finance industry. What do you think she could do?

Please, I will appreciate your advice and suggestions.
Since she wants to work in finance sector, i think she should go for a degree in finance. It won't be nice if she solves a lot of dy/dx and end up sitting at the front of a computer, working on Microsoft excel spreadsheet.

HeartTicker

Jun 1, 2020
To be honest with you, it is a total bullshit to study engineering and think of working in a finance company. if you shoot your shot at mgt/industrial engineering, i can bet it that you will likely not have passion for finance again. But on the other hand, Management aspect of the industrial engineering degree is a boost if you aim at becoming a boss, supervising operational and technical works, or serve as a project manager.

Mgt/Industrial Engineering degree will lead you to becoming an engineer. You will likely work in a mechanical industry but you might be their project engineer/manager.

But if you want to work in a finance sector, i think you should go to schools like, Ivey, Queens, McGill Desautels for a good finance degree. To eliminate boredom and repetitiveness, i think you should start doing things you like. e.g listening to music, playing games, etc.

Guitarist

Jun 1, 2020
I think the best thing to do is to go for things that are in line with your future prospect. However, if you want a feel of engineering and business and you wanna end up in finance sector, i think the best thing you can do is to apply to Western for Engineering with AEO status (that is, applying for Engineering on OUAC and applying for AEO on the Ivey business school website). With this,you can run a dual degree course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.