How much do lawyers make in Canada | Student Matrix

How much do lawyers make in Canada

Currently reading:
How much do lawyers make in Canada

BuddyCooky

Jan 22, 2021
I've constantly heard from people and read from articles that state lawyers and doctors are the most lucrative professions in Canada. Do lawyers really make that much or the whole hype about the money they make is just been exaggerated?

I will be pursuing a career in law so I need to know as much as I can before I begin the journey lol. What are your thoughts and opinion on this?

Bucky

Sep 15, 2019
Are you going for law because of the passion you have for it or the money?

Marta

Editor
Sep 9, 2019
Various factors like your practice location, years of experience and the law firm you work for will determine how much you will be making as a lawyer in Canada. The average lawyer salary in Canada is approximately $103,500 per year while the experienced lawyers earn up to $145,000 per year or more in some cases. Entry-level lawyers salary begins with $50,000.

BuddyCooky

Jan 22, 2021
Various factors like your practice location, years of experience and the law firm you work for will determine how much you will be making as a lawyer in Canada. The average lawyer salary in Canada is approximately $103,500 per year while the experienced lawyers earn up to $145,000 per year or more in some cases. Entry-level lawyers salary begins with $50,000.
Hmm $103,500 per year will be an average of $54 per hour which is cool but that ain't much as have expected it to be.

Ciara

Sep 11, 2019
Just like @Marta said, it all depends on your practice area, experience and where you work. I have a friend that just started as an entry-level lawyer and she earns 45k per year working for a small firm in Peterborough. Her salary most definitely reflects those factors.

Stylishqueen

Jan 22, 2021
Hmm $103,500 per year will be an average of $54 per hour which is cool but that ain't much as have expected it to be.
I would be so excited if I make $130k per year as a lawyer when I finally begin my career. I went into the law school application process thinking that I would be making up to $70k max if I'm lucky but here you are complaining about $130k.

caleb

Oct 31, 2019
A large percentage of lawyers under 5 years post call do not make $130,000 just so you know. Getting a entry level job as soon as you graduate is another challenge. It becomes worse when universities keep producing more lawyers every year.

BuddyCooky

Jan 22, 2021
$103,500 is a lot of money
I would be so excited if I make $130k per year as a lawyer when I finally begin my career. I went into the law school application process thinking that I would be making up to $70k max if I'm lucky but here you are complaining about $130k.
A large percentage of lawyers under 5 years post call do not make $130,000 just so you know. Getting a entry level job as soon as you graduate is another challenge. It becomes worse when universities keep producing more lawyers every year.
I know $130,000 is a lot of money for most Canadians, but how you want to live matters too. In my own case, I'm quite sumptuous lol.

MissKick

Jan 23, 2021
I know $130,000 is a lot of money for most Canadians, but how you want to live matters too. In my own case, I'm quite sumptuous lol.
You only need to be making $80k / year to be in the top 10% of Canadians which means $130k will be more than enough to live "sumptuously" like you want to. In fact, $130k will mean that you are in the top 3%.

Presto

Sep 29, 2019
If you want to earn a nice living, you don't necessarily have to get a law degree because it seems that's why you want to go to a law school. People in public sector jobs make $100,000+ / year when they are given enough time to gain experience and these type of jobs can be fairly effortless but yet comes with lot of benefits and ethical values especially when it's job has a union.

Most business owners earn more than lawyers too, so I don't believe it necessary to go to law school just because of the money you want to earn unless you have passion for law.

Hypnosis

Oct 5, 2019
If you want to earn a nice living, you don't necessarily have to get a law degree because it seems that's why you want to go to a law school. People in public sector jobs make $100,000+ / year when they are given enough time to gain experience and these type of jobs can be fairly effortless but yet comes with lot of benefits and ethical values especially when it's job has a union.

Most business owners earn more than lawyers too, so I don't believe it necessary to go to law school just because of the money you want to earn unless you have passion for law.
You've got a great point.

"Your first reason for pursuing a law degree is because you have passion for it."

Zain

Dec 26, 2019

You are right that people can earn good money in the public sector, but there are some exceptions to that. For example, if you don't go for a related career path to lawyers, or skilled professions like engineers, University professors e.t.c, there's no way you'll be earning that amount of money.

The amount of hours and overtime too matters. This applies mostly to public sector professions like cops, power workers e.t.c and this is usually their peak earnings i.e after 25 to 30 years of working.

So you either have to go down a related career path to lawyers or work for a long time to get there.

Napalm

Sep 15, 2019
You are right that people can earn good money in the public sector, but there are some exceptions to that. For example, if you don't go for a related career path to lawyers, or skilled professions like engineers, University professors e.t.c, there's no way you'll be earning that amount of money.

The amount of hours and overtime too matters. This applies mostly to public sector professions like cops, power workers e.t.c and this is usually their peak earnings i.e after 25 to 30 years of working.

So you either have to go down a related career path to lawyers or work for a long time to get there.
That's true.. Ontario Sunshine list is a perfect example.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.