Is it possible to get a Canadian Fellowship after completing US Board Certification? | Student Matrix
Welcome to Student Matrix

Be part of our community today

Is it possible to get a Canadian Fellowship after completing US Board Certification?

Currently reading:
Is it possible to get a Canadian Fellowship after completing US Board Certification?

Marvelous

Jun 6, 2020
Hello everyone, thanks for answering my first post.

I have a friend that wants to do US Board Certification and practice afterwards in Canada. Now, he wants to be sure if this is possible or he has to take all the Canadian medical examinations (e.g MCCEEs) again. Also, do we have some special US residency programs that are allowed to practice or exempted from practicing in Canada.

Besides, he told me that he read from one platform that the US/Canadian matches have been combined into one single match. I will like to know if this collaboration could be found on the Board/Fellowships level also.

Oranolio

Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone, thanks for answering my first post.

I have a friend that wants to do US Board Certification and practice afterwards in Canada. Now, he wants to be sure if this is possible or he has to take all the Canadian medical examinations (e.g MCCEEs) again. Also, do we have some special US residency programs that are allowed to practice or exempted from practicing in Canada.

Besides, he told me that he read from one platform that the US/Canadian matches have been combined into one single match. I will like to know if this collaboration could be found on the Board/Fellowships level also.
If what you mean is that you want to know if the board certification in your area of specialization is recognized, then you have to check that up with the royal college. It is a usual saying here that Anaesthesia is not recognized. Furthermore, I think for optho, dermatology, and general internal medicine, you might have to undertake an extra year of training. However, this list is not exhaustive.

In summary, you might have to do some Canadian exams unless you want to work in academic institution and you have been licensed to do so.

Marvelous

Jun 6, 2020
If what you mean is that you want to know if the board certification in your area of specialization is recognized, then you have to check that up with the royal college. It is a usual saying here that Anaesthesia is not recognized. Furthermore, I think for optho, dermatology, and general internal medicine, you might have to undertake an extra year of training. However, this list is not exhaustive.

In summary, you might have to do some Canadian exams unless you want to work in academic institution and you have been licensed to do so.

Thank you so much for your reply.

What I mean is that I have finished my US residency in general surgery, passed my board exam, and been certified by the board. Then, I want to apply for a fellowship in Transplant Surgery in Canada.

So, is there fellowship opportunity for this type of residency?

Oranolio

Jun 1, 2020
Thank you so much for your reply.

What I mean is that I have finished my US residency in general surgery, passed my board exam, and been certified by the board. Then, I want to apply for a fellowship in Transplant Surgery in Canada.

So, is there fellowship opportunity for this type of residency?
Undoubtedly, there are some US trained general surgeons that are undergoing there surgical fellowships in Canada. In Calgary, I know of two in Surgical oncology.

I have seen a surgeon that did his general surgery in the US and has his transplant fellowship in Canada. He is now working in Canada. Interestingly, he has not done his royal college exams but will do it very soon. Despite this, he has been working for some good number of years without the royal college exams. To me, it is more of a case by case basis and I think you can give it a trial.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.