Rotman Commerce or Laurier BBA? Which one should I go for between the two? | Student Matrix

Rotman Commerce or Laurier BBA? Which one should I go for between the two?

Currently reading:
Rotman Commerce or Laurier BBA? Which one should I go for between the two?

sprinkles

Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone, I am passionate about working in the finance sector or private equity field. Recently, I gained admission into two schools - Laurier for BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) and Rotman Commerce. I am really confused about the one I should opt for between the two schools. Please, kindly suggest the one I should go for and, if possible, back it up with reasons. Thank you very much guys.

aaay

Jun 1, 2020
Congratulations for securing admissions at two schools. Well, let me first commend the way you posted your question. It sounds so mature and straight to the point.

However, I will like to state that none of the two schools is good for you if you truly have passion for business/commerce and wanna be recognized all over the world. Rotman isn't good for undergraduate, it is their MBA program that gives them the little reputation they have.

Besides, you must achieve certain marks, a high score, in your first-year economics, calculus, and relevant management courses before you can FULLY secure a place at Rotman. Failure to meet these scores, I am sorry to say that your studentship at Rotman is over and you can never gain admission into Rotman again.

I strongly advise that you try McGill, Ivey, or Queen's commerce as they are highly reputable and employees are on the look for their graduates. Employees prefer graduates of these schools over Rotman or Laurier's graduates.

But if you still want to go to one of the two schools you have mentioned in your post, then go for Laurier BBA

KristyHoney

Jun 1, 2020
A friend of mine at Laurier said he would have opted for Rotman if he gained admission into the school. I think Laurier is a third-tier school. Although, none of the schools can slug it out with Queen's commerce

DeluxeVegan

Jun 1, 2020
A friend of mine at Laurier said he would have opted for Rotman if he gained admission into the school. I think Laurier is a third-tier school. Although, none of the schools can slug it out with Queen's commerce
Hi, I don't think Rotman is a third-tier school though. I think it is a second-tier school like Laurier BBA.

What I know about Rotman is that they place so much emphasis on coursework and little or no emphasis on practical classes, case studies and other relevant features that Queen's focuses on. To me, all they do at Rotman is to cram some bunch of theories, read some books and do your exams. They have no time to equip students with critical thinking skills on business topics.

The top tier companies or employees, which pay higher salaries, mostly recruti students from Ivey, Queen's commerce, Waterloo/Laurier double degree, Waterloo AFM, and, in some cases, McGill Desautels. Nowadays, they have also centered their focus on quant graduates with degrees in mathematics, engineering, management, computer science, and actuarial science.

I can go on and on but let me peg it here. In summary, I strongly suggest you go for Laurier BBA, especially with coop.

Tachophobia

Jun 1, 2020
Yes, Rotman isn'
Hi, I don't think Rotman is a third-tier school though. I think it is a second-tier school like Laurier BBA.

What I know about Rotman is that they place so much emphasis on coursework and little or no emphasis on practical classes, case studies and other relevant features that Queen's focuses on. To me, all they do at Rotman is to cram some bunch of theories, read some books and do your exams. They have no time to equip students with critical thinking skills on business topics.

The top tier companies or employees, which pay higher salaries, mostly recruti students from Ivey, Queen's commerce, Waterloo/Laurier double degree, Waterloo AFM, and, in some cases, McGill Desautels. Nowadays, they have also centered their focus on quant graduates with degrees in mathematics, engineering, management, computer science, and actuarial science.

I can go on and on but let me peg it here. In summary, I strongly suggest you go for Laurier BBA, especially with coop.
I support what you have said. Rotman isn't a good school especially if you want to work in top-tier companies. Please go for Laurier BBA. It will be excellent if you could get a coop too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.