Thinking of transferring from Brock accounting co-op to AFM | Student Matrix
Welcome to Student Matrix

Be part of our community today

Thinking of transferring from Brock accounting co-op to AFM

Currently reading:
Thinking of transferring from Brock accounting co-op to AFM

Experthead

Jun 1, 2020
Hi everyone, I hope you are staying safe?

I want you guys to advise me. I just finished my first year at Brock accounting with co-op but have been granted a permission to transfer to AFM if I want. Now, I am in a confused state. If you look at from this side, AFM has better co-op opportunities and it has global reputation. However, it is difficult to say or quantify how better the co-op programs are and how they might affect my career positively. On the other hand, I will have to spend another year at the university and the reviews I have read about the school affirm that the school is really difficult. If it is about tuition, I don't have issues with that. Remember, the angel you know is better than the one you don't know. I am quite familiar with Brock but I want to be sure if a switch to AFM will be a wise decision.

I will greatly appreciate your sincere advice and suggestions.

Thank you very much guys.

snowflake

Jun 1, 2020
Thanks dude, I am staying safe.
To your question, I 100% advise you to switch to AFM. I said this because of two main reasons:

1. Better co-op opportunities: Waterloo is one of the schools with the best co-op programs in the world. So, you will definitely have better co-op opportunities. To be frank with you, Brock is more or less a no-name school (even though the BAcc program is one of its best programs). AFM students often land better co-op placement with big leagues in finance and investment banking industry. They share the slots shoulder to shoulder with the Queen's and Ivey students. Trust me, with better co-op opportunities, you will be able to marry the gown to the town and have a full grasp of what you are taught in school. If you perform well during co-op, you might secure a job with the firm even before you graduate from Waterloo AFM.

2. Reputation: Irrespective of the course, the reputation of Waterloo can get you a better job in any part of the world. Waterloo is consistently ranked as one of the best schools in Canada. Brock is no where near the list of the best schools in Canada. Reputation really matters a lot. To cap it, if you try as much as possible to graduate with excellent grade, I think you have already secured a job for yourself in one of the big 4 accounting firms in Canada.

If tuition isn't your problem, do not even think it twice, kindly pack your luggage and find your way to Waterloo AFM.

aaay

Jun 1, 2020
Hi everyone, I hope you are staying safe?

I want you guys to advise me. I just finished my first year at Brock accounting with co-op but have been granted a permission to transfer to AFM if I want. Now, I am in a confused state. If you look at from this side, AFM has better co-op opportunities and it has global reputation. However, it is difficult to say or quantify how better the co-op programs are and how they might affect my career positively. On the other hand, I will have to spend another year at the university and the reviews I have read about the school affirm that the school is really difficult. If it is about tuition, I don't have issues with that. Remember, the angel you know is better than the one you don't know. I am quite familiar with Brock but I want to be sure if a switch to AFM will be a wise decision.

I will greatly appreciate your sincere advice and suggestions.

Thank you very much guys.
As @snowflake said, it all depends on how much you value the experience. You’re not really going to be studying for your extra year with co-op because that year will be spent working at your placement. It is worth it as it will strengthen your Resume and give you a leg up after graduation.

Veralder

Apr 27, 2021
Hey,
I must say that I will not agree with the no-name fact. When it comes up to universities, you have to select upon each faculty and not the whole university. Some amazing universities in economics can screw at arts, but they want to have those faculties because it kinda looks nice to the public. But, I would also agree that at AFM you will get better opportunities in your domain. My friend graduated and was accepted right after the studies at https://szwedaconsulting.com/tax-preparation/ . What a lucky man or? I mean the unemployment rate among students is scary :D so if you hear about such a reputation, switch! I am sure you will not regret)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.