UBC vs Waterloo Engineering | Student Matrix

UBC vs Waterloo Engineering

Currently reading:
UBC vs Waterloo Engineering

Holygrail

Jun 5, 2020
Hi Matrices, I’ve started considering my options on what university I’ll go for my engineering program after I graduate high school. I’m looking at University of Waterloo and UBC and I’m still finding it difficult to select one as the best choice. Here are the factors I’m considering with each university:

With UBC- because I live in BC, I can easily be able to commute to the university and I already have a part time job close to the school that I can continue doing while in uni. Also, because I’m a party freak and the night life in Vancouver is awesome which is also one of the factors I’m considering staying in the city.

Why the cons of studying in the UBC is the cost of living, although I live in Ladner and cost of living is kinda cheaper unlike Vancouver but commuting to UBC is around 1hr 45 mins by bus.

With U of Waterloo- I will be able to do co-op in my first year, the university has a good reputation in MIT, and its reputation in Silicon Valley will present students with larger network connections. Also, I will be able to live far away from my family so I can experience life from a different perspective.

Why the cons are the boring city life and it way colder that Vancouver.

Any advice and opinion will be much appreciated, Thank you.

Brian

Sep 15, 2019
Personally, I think first year co-op is a very good thing, that is if you're going for Waterloo but there are still plenty of co-op oppurtunities at UBC too. Although at UBC, co-op doesn't start until second year but it was worth it for me.

Holygrail

Jun 5, 2020
Personally, I think first year co-op is a very good thing, that is if you're going for Waterloo but there are still plenty of co-op oppurtunities at UBC too. Although at UBC, co-op doesn't start until second year but it was worth it for me.
Thanks for your input. I have a few questions:

• How was the co-op experience was for you?
  • Does UBC arrange interviews for you from prospective companies?
  • Lastly, did you get a chance to take co-op outside Canada too?

Brian

Sep 15, 2019
Thanks for your input. I have a few questions:

• How was the co-op experience was for you?
  • Does UBC arrange interviews for you from prospective companies?
  • Lastly, did you get a chance to take co-op outside Canada too?
It was a great experience and the staffs were very helpful.

Yes they do with setting you up for interview and evaluating the company for you

No, location is always a factor when you surfing the internet for job.

InspiringNozy

Sep 29, 2019
Computer Engineering
U of Waterloo is way better than UBC if you going for computer engineering because of the advantage of Silicon Valley and the connection the school have with them. You surely gon have a great co-op experience with the university of Waterloo.

Troubar

Sep 23, 2019
Waterloo university is your best option since it's best suits the goals you have. University experience generally is from the way you live your live in the uni. You wanna balance both schooling and the fun life so you won't be stressed with the pressure from studying.

Ciara

Sep 11, 2019
Waterloo ain't like Toronto or Vancouver, but you can surely achieve big dreams there. Your chances of getting a co-op related to your program is high too as Waterloo is considered as the "MIT of Canada."

Another factor to consider is being far away from your family- this way you can learn to be independent, that is why I'll suggest Waterloo.

Jan 28, 2020
Hi Matrices, I’ve started considering my options on what university I’ll go for my engineering program after I graduate high school. I’m looking at University of Waterloo and UBC and I’m still finding it difficult to select one as the best choice. Here are the factors I’m considering with each university:

With UBC- because I live in BC, I can easily be able to commute to the university and I already have a part time job close to the school that I can continue doing while in uni. Also, because I’m a party freak and the night life in Vancouver is awesome which is also one of the factors I’m considering staying in the city.

Why the cons of studying in the UBC is the cost of living, although I live in Ladner and cost of living is kinda cheaper unlike Vancouver but commuting to UBC is around 1hr 45 mins by bus.

With U of Waterloo- I will be able to do co-op in my first year, the university has a good reputation in MIT, and its reputation in Silicon Valley will present students with larger network connections. Also, I will be able to live far away from my family so I can experience life from a different perspective.

Why the cons are the boring city life and it way colder that Vancouver.

Any advice and opinion will be much appreciated, Thank you.
Hi OP.. I'll suggest you go with UBC. uWaterloo is extremely boring, I know they've got some coop opportunities but the chances are pretty much equal with UBC. A friend of mine had to deal with depression during his first year. Remember you're also leaving your family so you'll definitely be lonely during your freshman year, unless you're the type that makes friends easily.

My 2 cents ✌

brenda98

Oct 15, 2019
U of Waterloo is way better than UBC if you going for computer engineering because of the advantage of Silicon Valley and the connection the school have with them. You surely gon have a great co-op experience with the university of Waterloo.
Waterloo university is your best option since it's best suits the goals you have. University experience generally is from the way you live your live in the uni. You wanna balance both schooling and the fun life so you won't be stressed with the pressure from studying.
Waterloo ain't like Toronto or Vancouver, but you can surely achieve big dreams there. Your chances of getting a co-op related to your program is high too as Waterloo is considered as the "MIT of Canada."

Another factor to consider is being far away from your family- this way you can learn to be independent, that is why I'll suggest Waterloo.
You guys are making the same point about the co-op factor which is correct but that shouldn't be the deciding factor. I'm a U of Waterloo student and I can testify that lots of student in the Tech field dropped co-op within their year 2 or 3. They couldn't cope with the assignments during co-op.

Also, the OP might want to consider staying close to his fam and friends. Loneliness and depression are 2 friends that you might have during your 1st year.

Honeybear

Sep 15, 2019
You guys are making the same point about the co-op factor which is correct but that shouldn't be the deciding factor. I'm a U of Waterloo student and I can testify that lots of student in the Tech field dropped co-op within their year 2 or 3. They couldn't cope with the assignments during co-op.

Also, the OP might want to consider staying close to his fam and friends. Loneliness and depression are 2 friends that you might have during your 1st year.
You're absolutely right! The fact is that Waterloo is one of the top target schools in the world for tech recruitment but there are also lot of opportunities for students at UBC, just as much like U of Toronto in the tech world. So I believe students should look into other schools when it comes to CS related programs, not just Waterloo :rolleyes:

BrightHulk

Jun 1, 2020
@OP Toronto is not far away from Waterloo, so you might consider having fun during the weekends in Toronto to ease the boredom.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.