Urban Planning at the University of Waterloo | Student Matrix
Welcome to Student Matrix

Be part of our community today

Urban Planning at the University of Waterloo

Currently reading:
Urban Planning at the University of Waterloo

holystone

Jun 1, 2020
Hi guys, it is no doubt that this forum has really helped a lot of people to find answers to their questions.

So, in this thread, i want us to discuss Urban Planning at University of Waterloo.

If you have gained admission into the uWaterloo Urban planning program, we will like to know your grades (avg) and what you put on your AIF. Also, is it important to have a lot of ECs?

With this thread, a lot of people will be able to prepare ahead of the next year cohort and have the necessary requirements.

Thank you very much for your contribution.

Experthead

Jun 1, 2020
Hi guys, it is no doubt that this forum has really helped a lot of people to find answers to their questions.

So, in this thread, i want us to discuss Urban Planning at University of Waterloo.

If you have gained admission into the uWaterloo Urban planning program, we will like to know your grades (avg) and what you put on your AIF. Also, is it important to have a lot of ECs?

With this thread, a lot of people will be able to prepare ahead of the next year cohort and have the necessary requirements.

Thank you very much for your contribution.
Well, I don't have much information about Urban Planning at the University of Waterloo. What I can advise you to do is to search the UW website about their admission requirements including the competitive average cut-off for the program. Another thing you can do is to the check the UWaterloo's reddit site, I am pretty sure that you will get tons of information there.

sprinkles

Jun 1, 2020
Well, I am not a student of urban planning but I have some close friends of mine that are in Urban planning at the University of Waterloo. I know that much of the contents of the program focuses on North America. Larger percentage of the students are from the Greater Toronto Area and hence, the mindset of the Canadians is more pronounced in the course. Interestingly. UWaterloo is a big name in Canada and there are tons of international co-op and even, exchange programs.

I strongly recommend the program and you will not regret it.

ShowRunner

Jun 1, 2020
Guys, I have no idea about this but I saw this on UWaterloo.

Not a planning student but have had planner friends and have also been in a relatively similar program.

1. Most of my planner friends were able to find coops every term. You can see the average salaries per workterm here: https://uwaterloo.ca/co-operative-education/why-co-op/co-op-earnings/hourly-earnings-information. Yes, coop wages are taxed.
  2. You'll have both larger lecture halls as well as seminar/tutorial sized classes. Changes based off what course it is.
  3. Waterloo can be pretty competitive with co-op at the early years. I always felt like it was more collaborative in my program but I've heard planning has much more networking/selling yourself to it which tends to lead to a more competitive atmosphere.
  4. Matters what you're hoping to get out of co-op.
  5. I have taken several courses that planners also take so I can comment on only a few. Often they were taught well but there was the occasional class that either didn't have a great prof or felt like it would never apply to your program. It can vary based off what direction you go with your courses.
  6. You have to pay for coop terms as well as study terms. Coop terms are cheaper than study terms but they're definitely not free.
Kindly note that I am not the author of this post. It is written by Odzinic on this website https://www.reddit.com/r/uwaterloo/comments/cdhkvz

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.