Which one should I go for? Western BMOS (without Ivey advanced standing) vs Laurier BBA | Student Matrix

Which one should I go for? Western BMOS (without Ivey advanced standing) vs Laurier BBA

Currently reading:
Which one should I go for? Western BMOS (without Ivey advanced standing) vs Laurier BBA

Loonies

Jun 1, 2020
Hello guys, I got accepted to Laurier BBA and am rest assured that my admission into Western BMOS is almost a done deal as I beat the cutoff mark. However, I made a mistake. I didn't apply for Ivey advanced standing for Western. I feel so sad about this but I am sure that people on this forum will have better advice for me. I have applied for Rotman or Queen's commerce and await their decisions.

I see myself working in finance industry in the nearest future. So, I want to get the best education that will equip with the skills needed in succeeding in the sector.

I have made enquiries from some of my friends at both schools about the student's lifestyle, accommodation and other things and I think I am okay with it. My issue is that I want to know the school that is best for finance and would likely get me a job after graduation.

Your suggestions, advice, and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much guys.

aaay

Jun 1, 2020
Hello guys, I got accepted to Laurier BBA and am rest assured that my admission into Western BMOS is almost a done deal as I beat the cutoff mark. However, I made a mistake. I didn't apply for Ivey advanced standing for Western. I feel so sad about this but I am sure that people on this forum will have better advice for me. I have applied for Rotman or Queen's commerce and await their decisions.

I see myself working in finance industry in the nearest future. So, I want to get the best education that will equip with the skills needed in succeeding in the sector.

I have made enquiries from some of my friends at both schools about the student's lifestyle, accommodation and other things and I think I am okay with it. My issue is that I want to know the school that is best for finance and would likely get me a job after graduation.

Your suggestions, advice, and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much guys.
This is what a friend of mine did. He went to Laurier BBA and became one of the best students in the class. He got a very good GPA, got coop, lots of ECs and was opportune to do his first coop term at a big fund (think BMO/TD/fidelity) in the field of equity research. After this, he transferred into Ivey because he aimed at getting into the wall st. In the long run, his one coop term experience really helped him and later graduated as one of the top performers at Ivey. Many thanks to Ivey's Career Centre, my guy leveraged on his strong network and jumped into the United States. He is doing really good now.

Last edited:

DeluxeVegan

Jun 1, 2020
Let me make it clear, Laurier BBA is much more better than Wester BMOs, especially if the latter doesn't come with AEO status. It is excellent if you get coop at Laurier. However, if you couldn't get a coop at Laurier, you are still receiving a globally recognized business degree as against a social science degree from Western BMOs, which doesn't receive global recognition like Laurier BBA. Furthermore, what is so important if you want to get into Ivey is to have AEO status. But if you don't have AEO status at the two schools, I think your best bet is to go for Laurier BBA and then transfer to Ivey after the second year. Make sure you graduate with excellent grade and/or have coop experience. It is far better than going for Western BMOs with no AEO status.

Tachophobia

Jun 1, 2020
Guys, it is easier to get a higher GPA at BMOs than Laurier BBA. But the issue is if you couldn't secure AEO Status, you might find it so difficult to get job. I think it is better to go to Laurier BBA, even though you couldn't AEO status, you can easily get job ahead of BMOs with no AEO status. Some Laurier BBA graduates compete excellently with those from Schulich and the likes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.